Are you into snowboarding? Does speed thrill you as you race down the Snowy Mountains? What’s the worst thing that could happen to you as you slide down at full throttle? That’s right. Nobody wants wind blowing into their face or snow particles getting into their eyes.
Or worse still, sliding down a mountain ready for the trick of your life, only to come face to face with an unwanted speed bump in the form of a hidden rock or a ditch in the snow. This is where snowboarding goggles and their importance come in.
Yes. Without this essential accessory, snowboarding becomes less exciting, especially for those who thrive on speed. Are you still wondering how important these goggles are? Well, here are the six reasons why it is essential to always have the appropriate snowboarding goggles before hitting your favorite snow trail.
1. Goggles give you enhanced visibility
Increased clarity and visibility are worth every dime when snowboarding. Snowboarding goggles are made of a unique lens. These gears come in different shapes and shades of color. They give you a broad angle view of your surroundings. They are also designed to prevent fogging. This is very important because clear vision is everything for a snowboarder. They also improve your visibility by filtering out excess sunlight and enhance contrast in your view so that you can see clearly in different weather conditions.
2. Protects you from wind and debris
It is not uncommon for strong winds and snow to wreck havoc on poorly geared up fellows. The importance of snowboard goggles is to protect your eyes from the rushing wind and blinding snow that will slam into your face! Blowing wind causes irritation to the eyes and flying debris could easily injure you. However, with well-fitting goggles, your face, and in particular your eyes are nicely protected from anything that the wind may throw your way.
3. Protection in case of accidents along the Piste
Snowboarding is a sport best enjoyed at high speed. What this means is that accidents can occur. As an unwritten rule, dressing well for snowboarding is something that you should not downplay. The most vulnerable parts of your body would be your face and eyes.
Injuries can be from hanging branches, tree stumps or hidden rocks. A good helmet will protect your head, but it is goggles that will shield your eyes. Safety comes first. Have those goggles strapped on.
4. Goggles keep out harmful ultraviolet rays.
Another reason why you should wear snowboarding goggles is to protect your eyes from harmful ultraviolet rays. The lenses can be mirrored, polarized or photochromic. These features help to filter out reflected sun glare which contains harmful UV rays. Continuous exposure to UV rays leads to eye conditions like photokeratitis and development of cataracts. To protect yourself, be armed with a good pair of snowboarding goggles before you hit the slopes.
5. Protection for your prescription sunglasses
Thanks to advancement in technology, we now have snowboarding glasses that can be worn over your prescription glasses. They, therefore, protect them in case of a mishap or guards against loss when you careen down the slope. If you have prescription glasses, find goggles that snugly fit.
6. Confidence to perform tricks and maneuvers
Any assurance that your visibility is guaranteed and top notch can boost your confidence. ‘How?’ You may ask. Lack of necessary equipment can trigger apprehension which then inhibits you from fully expressing yourself. So, having goggles that fit perfectly is one way of injecting a dose of confidence to go beyond the normal while snowboarding.
Contents in This Article
How to Clean Your Snowboarding Goggles like a Pro
Now you know why you should always have your snowboarding goggles with you every time you think of snowboarding. Invest in a good pair of snowboarding goggles that will offer you the best. I suggest those with brown lenses which are suitable for all weather conditions.
But do know that adding a pair of goggles to your snowboarding gear is one thing. But getting clear visibility from season to season requires proper maintenance through cleaning. So, how best do you clean your snowboarding goggles.
- Store them safely, first – To get the best visibility from your goggles, you need to know how to clean them. But before that, how you store them matters and could be the key to their durability. Always have them in their casing when not in use. Follow the steps below when cleaning your goggles.
- Shake gently or tap lightly against your palm to remove attached snow or any other tiny particles. DO NOT wipe the lenses as this damages them through scratching.
- Sponge the exterior lenses and then the interior lenses using the provided goggle bag to absorb any water droplets or moisture. You can also use a soft piece of cloth. Ensure you don’t wipe.
- In case you notice visible marks on the lens after sponging/dabbing, use a soft dump piece of fabric to get rid of them (by sponging). Again, don’t wipe so as not to interfere with the lens coating, thereby damaging your goggles.
- Dab once more using the goggle bag to dry off any dampness. This ensures your lenses remain dry and in perfect condition for long-term use.
- Store your goggles dry and clean in the special storage bag that they came in.
Note: It’s advisable not to use chemical-based agents to clean our goggles as these may damage the lens coating and render your goggles useless.
Snowboarding is a sport of fun and exhilaration. Just like skiing, snowboarding is a sport that gets better with speed and altitude. Nothing gives you a boost than being able to clearly visualize your path down the slope. That is where goggles come in.
They play a very important role in not only aiding visibility but also offering protection to the snowboarder. Although snowboarding goggles come in various shapes, brands, and models, one thing is common to all of them- they all are invaluable to the snowboarder. Remember, safety first.